Most probably ‘Shop Vac’ is a familiar term for you! At the same time maybe you have a blurred idea about it, not a clear concept.
With the blurred concept, you might not please at all. Without knowing what it is, how to work and why it’s important; you can’t apply it correctly in your practical necessary. You may get confused with the general vacuum!
Most of the people mix up it with the regular vacuum that is wrong actually! Hence why you need to know about it. To read out this article; specifically, you can understand what is a shop vac and with everything about it which is essential for you.
Now it’s time for the delve into the discussion.
What is a shop vac
A shop vacuum is a valuable tool for cleaning up the woodworking and construction area. It has a high-powered motor and suction unit that able to suck up chunks of material from building site and carpentry for cleaning the dirty place.
It has to deal with the screws, nails, bits of wire, large amounts of sawdust and other debris. Simply put, its assigned for the large-time job.
Shop vac also called as bucket vacuums because of their size and shape. It comes with a large hose. It designed with wheel feature that allows you to move it directly one space to any other.
What is a shop vacuum used for
The shop vacuum is not a kind of a vacuum that would you used it in household work. That is the reason its known as ‘shop vac.
- Its mainly used in the construction site and woodworking shop.
- It used to collect a vast amount of dust, sucking up the screw, nail, sawdust, chunks of wood, the small piece of metal
- and any other tiny object which is falling to the ground of a building site or woodworking place.
- It has a plus point feature as some expensive shop vacuum intended for suck up wet messes and water. These named as wet or dry shop vacuums. They can use to clean the outside of the construction area when it gets pretty damp.
These are not perfect for the household chore. But if you want to use it in your garden or garage, you can go with it.
Why do they differ from regular household vacuums?
There are some primary difference between regular household vacuums and shop vacuum
One of the main difference is regular vacuum cleaner has to deal with dust and dirt particle, whereas, shop vacuum intended for the heavy-duty task of bigger debris particle.
The household carpet cleaning vac usually has a dust collection bag which is comparatively smaller than the shop vacuum and tends to break with the edgy metal objects.
Shop vacuums hose is larger than the regular vacuum. A wet/dry shop machine will manage gallons of water, just ensure you escape any dust particle you have in the tank first. Some hold a filter that needs to come out before cleaning up water. Where else, The small hose that would lead to clogging. And, indeed, there is the problem of water.
Shop machine contains a stronger motor than a household vacuum. It would make sure the strongest suction for the heavy-duty job. The more massive object would be possible to suck up due to powerful motor and suction which can’t be possible with the household vacuum.
The shop vac doesn’t come with accessories and its feature with a big tube with a wide opening. On the other hand, household vacuum cleaner comes with the attachments that you can use to clean carpet, sofa, rug, and corner of the floor.
Common household vacuum cleaner contains the filter which can purify the air and don’t allow the comeback of the dust particle. On the other hand, most of the shop vacuum doesn’t have the filter, and they merely concerned with the cleanup of the housing various objects and not intended for air.
There are both the advantage and disadvantage of owning a shop vac.
Advantage and Disadvantage of owning a shop vac
- The shop vac is perfect for construction site and woodworking shop.
- They have much more power than the regular vacuum cleaner.
- Clogging a shop vac is not easy.
- Many shop vac can suck up the wet masses.
- The tank has a large capacity that permits to hold more dust.
- Its Containing air wind technology with high pressure.
- Don’t need to frequent bag change due to having a large size of the tank.
- For heavy-task, Its provide a smooth and comfortable cleaning process.
- Shop vacs can hold and handle a more massive and large object than the regular household vacuum.
Check out the top 6 Advantages of wet/dry or shop vac
- Shop vacuums are not good at filtering the air.
- They don’t come with accessories for any carpet, fabric, and sofa
- Usually wider and heavier than the conventional vacuum cleaner
- Pretty tough to maneuver
- They are not ideal for the chore of the housework
Should I have a shop vac in my home?
Frankly speaking, if your house doesn’t get much massy and there are not large debris around, actually you don’t need to purchase this one. But definitely, you can use it to clean your veranda, garden, driveway, porch or garage. So before you get a new vacuum cleaner to keep in your head that, the shop vacs are not suitable for cleaning of carpet, sofa or household chores.
Can I vacuum up water with the shop vac?
Honestly saying, it depends on the kind of shop vacuum. There are many types of shop vacuum on the market. So if you want that feature then before you buy, you have to check either it designed or wet mess or not.
This is obvious that the shop vac which featured with suck up water it is more expensive than the usual shop vac.
Finally, I would like to say, if anyone engaged with the heavy work such as the construction site or woodworking shop, it would be the best for them. Also, who wants to clean up their garage or driveway, surely it would be best for them.
Shop vacuum can suck up all the heavy mess within a time. Their large capacity and powerful motor can handle such a large verity of material.